Cambodian-American Buddhist Association of
- To provide community members and Hawaiian residents a place for practicing Buddhism and sharing Cambodian culture.
- To provide religious and educational programs including retreats and mindfulness meditations and to promote Buddhist philosophy in accordance with Buddhist scriptures by traditional chanting and blessing.
- To bring community members together and promote understanding and friendship among community members.
- To assist the one who need assistance including elderly people and disability.
(1) Membership is open to all Hawaiian residents who are 18 years old and up. Every member may voluntarily make donations to Cambodian-American Buddhist Association of Hawaii. They may contribute as monthly basis or occasionally. These members shall be referred to general members.
(2) Any member may withdraw his or her membership by giving a written notice to the chairman of the board of directors. However, if the board found any member has involved in illegal act, the board may terminate his/her membership upon a majority vote of the board.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
(3) Member of the board of directors shall be elected by a majority of the general members once a year in the month of October. Each members of board shall be a follower of Buddhism. The board shall consist of seven members including the president of the association, the chairman of the board, and five members of the board.
(4) The board is obligated to prepare internal rules and ensure the proper conduction of the organization in accordance with Buddhism, the law of the State of
(5) The board shall appoint its chairman to preside over the board’s conductions. The chairman shall be appointed by consent of the board members.
(6) The board shall meet at least four times at every quarter of the calendar year. A special meeting may be held upon the requests from the chairman, the president or one third of the board. The meeting may be held by quorum of two third of the board of directors. The decision shall be reached by a majority of the participants. Every member of the board of directors shall provide a reasonable excuse to the chairman if he/she is unable to present at the meeting.
(7) The chairman shall preside over the board meeting. In his/her absence, a member of the board may preside over the meeting in absence of the president and the chairman.
(8) The president shall be elected by the general members once a year in the month of October the same time as the board of directors. He/she shall be a former member of the board of directors. He/she shall be able to read and write Cambodian language and be a follower of Buddhism.
(9) He/she shall responsible for proper conduction of the association. He/she shall direct the secretary and treasurer to implement in accordance with the rules and regulations of the association.
(10) A secretary shall be appointed by the president. He/she shall attend every internal and external meeting of the organization. He/she shall prepare schedule and necessary documents for the meeting. He/she is responsible for preparing reports of the meeting.
(11) A member of the board of directors shall be appointed by the chairman as a temporary secretary when the secretary is unable to attend the meeting.
(12) The Secretary shall also responsible in documentation of the association. Also, he/she shall responsible in depositing money to the bank and providing the proof of deposit to the treasurer.
(13) A treasurer shall be appointed by the president of the association.
(14) He/she shall responsible for collecting donations. He/she shall provide monthly report to the president.
(15) He/she is responsible in filling tax forms with state and federal.
(16) Board of directors shall review the quarterly financial statement to ensure the accuracy of the statement. The treasurer shall submit receipts and/or proof of the statement as requested by the board.
(17) Financial statements and journal entries shall be audited at least once a year by accountant and shall be reviewed by the board of directors. The financial statement shall be filed based on calendar year.
(18) General members have the right to vote for the board of directors and the president of the organization.
(19) The president of the organization, chairman of the board of directors, and the members of the board of directors have equal right to vote during the meeting of the board. Each of them has one vote. Decision shall be made by a majority of the participants of the meeting.
(20) During the term, member of the board may voluntarily resign from his/her positions by giving a written notice to the board of directors.
(21) If the board of directors found that any member has involved in illegal act or act against the internal rule of the association, the board of directors may terminate him/her by a majority vote of the board.
(22) Member of the board will be automatically terminated from his/her position if he/she is unable to attend three times of the quarterly meeting.
(23) Unless authorized by the majority of the board of directors, no member of the association shall receive any remuneration for his/her services.
(24) For the purpose of achieving its objectives, the association may borrow or raise capital in according to the approval of the board of directors.
(25) The Bylaws may be rescinded, altered or added to by a “Special Resolution”.